Gina from My Skinny Garden


I was born and raised in Memphis, Tennessee and moved to Chicago almost eight years ago on the count of a boy. It was the best thing I've ever done in my life - I love it here and I'm never leaving.

On May 21st, 2007 I went to the Forest Park farmer's market to buy some organic tomatoes. While there, I became pissed off over the price of the tomatoes and decided that I ought to be able to grow some myself. So, I went straight to Home Depot, bought a bunch of organic vegetable plants and set out to plant my first vegetable garden. I had no idea what I was doing. Seriously, I dug the holes right through the sod - it was brutal! (I didn't know I was supposed to remove the sod first) It took me four hours to finish but once I showered and recovered from the back-breaking digging, I realized it was the only four-hour block of time that I had not thought about my job, at all. From that moment, I was hooked on gardening.

I'm not sure how long you are a "novice gardener" before you graduate to "avid gardener", but I consider myself a novice. I still kill lots of stuff, but it keeps me sane, and helps me make friends.

I started a blog about my garden in order to prove to my family back home that I really had an actual garden (if you knew me, you'd know why they'd doubt me) but in the meantime I've come to rely on my garden blogging friends for all kinds of advice. They've saved me from some gardening disasters of epic proportion.

I'm a healthcare administrator by day, but at night and on the weekends I garden, and write about it, and obsess about how I can make a career out of it.

Chicago Gardeners Flickr Pool

www.flickr.com

Twitter Updates/Mini Blog

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter